Pages

Thursday 6 October 2016

An Autumn run....

   With Triamcinolone crystals swilling around inside my eye after Monday's injection, a couple resembling shirt buttons, I reckoned it might be some time before I dare risk going for another run.  But by Wednesday the crystals had reduced to tiny black fragments.  I went to bed early, setting my alarm for 6.30am.
   Thursday dawned clear but with a nithering north easterly. I put a set of stinging drops into my eye before coffee and more after I'd drunk up. My Garmin typically took its time locating satellites while I stood shivering under the security light with my wrist in the air muttering "Come on, come on", hoping I wasn't waking the neighbours.
   After three days rest I was feeling good. The mile and 300ft of ascent onto Castle Hill took little more than 10 minutes in the crisp morning air.  I'd time for two ½ mile circuits before the sun peeped over the horizon.
Awake, for morning in the bowl of night
has flung the stone that put the stars to flight
and lo, the hunter in the east has caught
the Sultan's turret in a noose of light
Unfortunately I'd forgotten to bring shades with me, having set off in near darkness, so was soon running for home, eyes to the ground and as fast as my legs would carry me. A stone got in my shoe so I stopped to remove it.  My fingers were so stiff with cold it took ages to tie my lace. Autumn is well and truly upon us.
   I'm not sure my Consultant would approve of all this but hey, life is for living....and I aim to make the most of what's left of it.

Postscript:   Since posting the above I've heard Sir Bradley Wiggins was granted Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for his use of the corticosteroid Triamcinolone.  Is that why I felt so good running up Castle Hill in such a good time this morning?

4 comments:

  1. I've started my spring running, not much, just a couple of laps of the track, but it's a start...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news Coach, I'm happy for you. Take it easy and don't be tempted back to the stresses and strains of racing too soon.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Doesn't that sky look wonderful ... it makes an early start so worthwhile.
    I do hope your eye is settling down ok ... take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some folk never notice it Jan. The other morning a dog walker was creeping along gazing at his phone seemingly oblivious to the sky or where his dog was.
      Much of the inflammation had gone from my eye when I saw the Consultant again this morning.
      Thanks....

      Delete